On the 10th October the Level 4 Interior Architecture students visited West Dean College for their study trip. West Dean House was originally built in 1086. In 1912 the Estate was inherited by Edward James, a poet and patron of the arts, and an avid collector of Surrealist art. Edward later turned the house into an educational community where hundreds of techniques of craftsmanship were taught. In 1971 the house became West Dean College, a centre for the study of conservation, arts crafts, writing, gardening and music.
During tours of the house, gardens and workshops the students captured what they considered to be the essence of the spaces, and the juxtaposition of the original house and the Surrealist additions using photographs and sketches. They additionally investigated and researched unfamiliar tools and objects found in the craft studios.
A great day had by all!